I created this blog as a teenager to write reviews about books I enjoyed to recommend them for other teenagers. Now that I am an adult going to school to become a secondary art and english teacher, it seems fitting to continue using this blog except this time as an adult looking for adolescent appropriate fiction. For the next few months I will be posting about various texts I am reading for a class about teaching literature to adolescents.

Yours Truly,
Readinater

Sunday, April 1, 2012

If I stay by Gayle Forman

Formal
Mia has everything anyone could want; amazing parents, a loving devoted boyfriend, an adoring little brother, and a best friend. One day that all changes. She and her family go on a car ride, and get in a fatal car crash. Her parents are both dead on the spot, and she and her brother are in critical condition. Mia has to choose to live on earth with the few things left in her life, or join her parents in death. What would you choose?

If I stay takes place in a hospital in Portland Oregon, and in her mind. Half of the book is spent her recounting memories from Mia's past.

Gayle Forman put an interesting twist to being in a coma, that I thoroughly enjoyed. I liked how you got to experience reading her memories as well as read the present. I like the conflicts placed to make her decision that much harder to make.

I recommend this book for anyone. I would like to point out that this book, while very good and captivating, can be quite the downer. It is sad and depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment