I created this blog as a teenager to write reviews about books I enjoyed to recommend them for other teenagers. Now that I am an adult going to school to become a secondary art and english teacher, it seems fitting to continue using this blog except this time as an adult looking for adolescent appropriate fiction. For the next few months I will be posting about various texts I am reading for a class about teaching literature to adolescents.

Yours Truly,
Readinater

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

California State Universities Expository Reading and Writing Course Assignment Template


The California State Universities Expository Reading and Writing Course Assignment Template would be  a very helpful teaching tool. It clearly outlines the steps to reading and then writing about the reading with various assignment ideas outlined about each step. I know that this template will be incredibly helpful with developing my 3 Week Literature Unit as I can cross-reference it with the activities I plan out. It would also be generally helpful as an English Language Arts teacher to help develop lesson plans and units.
I also appreciate the many appendices that support the template included at the end. There is a wide range of different kinds of appendices, from assessment strategies to specific rubrics to strategies for the skills discussed in the template such as prereading. I can easily see how I could just look at the appendices for further help should any troubles arise within the lesson planning or teaching. And, if those appendices aren’t enough there’s a list of different online resources available. Between those two lists of resources available its clear to see how helpful this template and accompanying parts would be very helpful in the classroom, with little outside support needed if at all.
That being said, if I structured all of the assignments in my classroom around the California State Universities Expository Reading and Writing Course Assignment Template, I think my classroom would become boring rather quickly. Although there is some variety within the suggested activities, there is not enough to last a whole year. Therefore, I think it would be most helpful at the beginning of the year when I am first teaching my students about how to read and write effectively. Then, I can use it as a guideline before just structuring my units precisely the way I want to. It would be a great tool for scaffolding learning in that regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment